Saturday, March 17

ANOTHER KNIFE


another demon came around. It was wearing a golden crown. It
had wings like angels do, but very light. It was dressed in black. It
had mustaches and funny ears like those of a bull

from behind it, a million eyes were watching me
or maybe they were knots in some sort of matrix

the demon had horns, great horns of glass. I was not scared. I asked it: “Did
you come out of me?
-Maybe, said the demon. Do you know my name?”

of course I didn’t know. I asked him. Well, I think it was a ‘him’ because
of the mustaches. “They call me Masam, said the demon. I came here
to remind you of something. An
event that happened to you when you were a child. Will you hear me?
-Yes, I told him. Listening to demons is risky, although not much so, not
in a desert anyway, but that’s another story
-Do you remember your visit to the zoo?” asked Masam

that’s when the most incredible thing happened to me. I never
wrote about it. I fell in the gorillas’ area. That
made the news, and I was on TV for the first time. I was eight years old. That
I didn’t get hurt was lucky, but what was considered very strange was that
I was yelling: “THE SUN IS SINGING” when I got rescued. “Do
you remember why? asked the demon
-Why what? I wasn’t sure what he meant
-Why you fell into the gorillas’ area
-I had a crush on a girl, and she was there, and she dared me “climb on that
fence” and I did, and when I got up there she went “get on the other side if you
dare” and I didn’t but I lost balance and I fell to the other side with the apes
-That's not why, that’s how, said the demon
-Because of the girl, I said. That’s why
-No way, said the demon. But that’s another story. Two
gorillas approached your fragile little stupid self. What
do you remember happened?
-those guys were big. Big like big. The bigger one had a branch, a club, it
was hitting the ground with it. “Okay, you are the king” I thought to
myself or maybe not. I was only eight.
There was a lot of screaming
I

thought:
“What is going to happen next?” that
I remember well. Then all of a sudden I realized I was…
-What? asked the demon
-I couldn’t hear anything. No more screaming. That silence lasted a few
seconds, which seemed like a long long time. Then I heard it
-What? asked the demon
-The song. It was a beautiful song. The voice was…
-What? asked the demon
-…coming down from the sky. I looked up. Through the clouds, I could see it, the
sun. The sun was singing, it was…
-What was the sun singing about?” asked the demon

I looked at him. There he was, a real monster with a crown on its
head, and horns, and a million worms with eyes behind him. “What
do you want to know that you don’t know already? I asked him
-Nothing” he said. “Forget it!”

then he showed me an interesting blade that resembled the meatabone
knife. “What is that for? I wanted to know
-That is to cut words, he told me. I want you to bring it to the famous Maga who
lives in this desert. Will you do that for me?
-Yes, I told him. As long as I don’t cut myself with it…”

before I was finished talking the demon was gone. You’d think it’s
hard to disappear in a desert, but those demons have a way

…so the knife. It was on the ground. I looked at it without touching for a long
time. On its blade a question was engraved: WHAT IS A WORD? I pondered how
to answer that question

when morning came I took the knife and left

::: ::: :::

[Picture: Masam the demon by reading_is_dangerous]