Friday, January 12

BLUE WHITE BLACK ORANGE GRAY


I went to an Arab city
and got myself one of those smart bombs
that Americans drop there every day

coming back home, I threw the thing myself
at the building where I live. Boom!

it was badly built anyway, and so ugly that I never really knew
what it looked like

in winter, Mr. Cold would come inside
and try to paint my fingers blue sky, egg white, charcoal black
pumpkin orange, stone gray: truly horrible shades
for the normal human skin

I remember one terrible day when I was visiting Chechnya in 1995
a war had just started
driving a car, we took a wrong turn
and ended up in a cemetery
where hundreds of people were waiting
their skin was blue, white, black, orange, gray; they were all
dead, laying in a pit, hoping that one of their surviving relatives
would come and identify them before it was too late

this is year two thousand and seven
we still drop bombs on people’s houses
we still live in stupidly built houses
we still can’t see beautiful skin colors
when we see them

::: ::: :::

[Picture: Detail of a life saving vest by reading_is_dangerous]

It’s been -10°C (-18°F) and below for ten days already. At home, it never gets above 15°C (60°F). What keeps me warm is an Afghan woolen vest that was given to me by a friend four years ago. I wonder if the good tailor who made it is still alive. Ars longa, vita brevis.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah...I do not know what to say to this one. I do like it, the morbidity of it, I guess the colours..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric reminds me of my father. I'm not sure why, because i can't think of a specific jacket he had of this type -- but there must have been something, because I can almost feel it to look at the picture. And smell the Old Spice mixed with beer scents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isole tes fenetres mon frere!
    S

    ReplyDelete