Friday, December 7

WRITING WITH SCISSORS


while he refuses to distinguish between
what is inside of him
and what is outside,
he will tell you that poetry comes from within
while fiction,
when he writes some,
seems to come to him from the outside

thus as a man or as a writer he stands between
the voice of his soul and
that of a fictitious account of reality

“I am a thin membrane, a filter, a self-conscious filter,”
he explains

“and when it rains outside of me,
it also rains inside of me. And when it
rains inside of me, it also
rains outside of me. So if you need some rain,
you can just tell me,
because I know the secret of making it rain inside of me,
which mean I can make it rain outside of me.”

interesting fabrications he can think of.
The other day he told me that when Matisse (at 72) could no
longer hold a brush for painting
he used scissors to
create the shapes he needed for his works

“that’s what I am doing,” he says,
“writing with scissors.”

yet he
s not even forty years old

::: ::: :::

[Picture: Memories of...
by reading_is_dangerous]


SEVEN HENRI MATISSE QUOTES I LIKE VERY MUCH:
  1. It has bothered me all my life that I do not paint like everybody else.
  2. I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
  3. There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.
  4. An artist must never be a prisoner. Prisoner? An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation, prisoner of success, etc.
  5. I have always tried to hide my efforts and wished my works to have the light joyousness of springtime which never lets anyone suspect the labors it has cost me.
  6. I don't know whether I believe in God or not. I think, really, I'm some sort of Buddhist. But the essential thing is to put oneself in a frame of mind which is close to that of prayer.
  7. Exactitude is not truth.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, trés beau, belles pensées !
    Il y a beaucoup ici de phrases en mot unique, qui méritent reflexion.
    Juste et dimensionnel, comme j'aime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose exactitude is ONE truth, but never all THE truth. A novelist & short story writer I know, John Dufresne, wrote a book on how to write (one truth) called THE LIE THAT TELLS THE TRUTH. I love the way you paint & the way you write. So glad you share it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grasping wisdom shared to those
    with ears to hear
    eyes to see
    hearts to feel
    we are all human beings...

    Some express reality rather than
    Illusion of mere dreams...
    Feeds truly keen individuals.
    Filling voids in between.

    Wisdom doubts not what it knows.
    Seeks with sound determination
    What is unknown vs. known.

    Can weep within or without
    Control of mind with logic
    Changes a moment with a flashlight
    Spontaneous improv at will.

    Defense of another is naught
    Heart of within has no guard,
    is pure with optimisim,
    We are all human.

    Some defend the world with
    logical thought...
    Others with actions resulting
    from wisdom taught.

    What is wisdom?
    What is ignorance?
    What is simplicity?
    What is complexity?

    Everything must balance.
    where is the balance,
    infinite question.

    Painting with tender toes or lips;
    perhaps her hands fell to paralysis. Her determined mind
    continues to express from within,
    from without.

    Writing and painting expressions
    of an Artist,are what lies within.
    Hunger exists searching beyond...
    What makes one single piece of art
    unique in nature to any other?

    Freedom of the Artist is logical.
    Why should it matter what medium,
    style or focus if perception flows
    From single or few reviews? Perceptions from many hidden key,
    Reality is revealed to an artist
    From perceptions of other minds...
    related to,
    Expressions given from within,
    without...from an artist.

    Learn from their perspective
    Allowing freedom in your art to
    Find one single piece...
    Of many expressions.

    Completion gives an artist identity
    Unique gift of reflection,
    found within their expressions.

    With your masterpiece finished
    Natural with your special gift,
    Pursuit is simply...

    Maybe one will be unique.

    Wonderful piece, thank you for
    sharing words of wisdom.
    Reminders listed are simple
    Keys to questions all artist
    Haunt their blank canvas with.

    Luucy Stone* 23 February 2008
    Fort Morgan Alabama
    cwellc tcg ldbg*

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2nd and 4th the two blades of your scissors like your words and your paintings
    I 'm not glad I'm turned inside out I'm shaked about every time I come and read or see your works

    ReplyDelete