Sunday, June 8

THE OTHER SIDE OF US




this is
will be
is going to be
what is going to be

the second picture I took here
the hills
the clouds
and people to far for me to see

there is the white vehicle that will take me
to
Goma
in nearby Congo

the soil is dark
the sky is white
a man stands in between
or he doesn't

I should not write now
right after the airplane trip
right after the first night after my arrival
it's too fast, I'm taking a poetical risk (ha! ha!)

the kids here, numerous tourists
in shorts, all pink
one is right here in front of me
they're discussing the drugs they take

of course nobody's looking at me
that's the trend in traveling:
be a snob, don't talk, don't look
or look like you're utterly bored

my colleagues say
there are volcanoes on the road
they say the road is beautiful
they say it's another story on the other side

the other side of me
the other side of you
the other side of us
here is a question: how many side have we?



::: ::: :::

[Picture: Sample picture by reading_is_dangerous]

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 08, 2008

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 08, 2008

    Great sample picture! I like the way the fog hangs on the hills, ominous...Wallace
    ----
    Children are great, intelligent children are even better.

    Jack Kerouac

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many sides have we?

    As many as we have courage to explore....

    (Thanks for being an explorer, and for holding the bar high....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 09, 2008

    I have to look when travelling: there's too much to see, yet I know I'll miss seeing something...I don't get to see it where I live.

    I learned an important lesson this morning: yesterday I was at the State Democratic Convention in Austin, Texas and leaving the Convention Center, at the red light I was stopped at, I paused to stare at the Texas Governor's Mansion. I thought, "I'll get photos of the place the next time I'm here...it's 100 degrees outside the car..." It burned down this morning. *sigh* Look while you can, I suppose...

    //here is a question: how many side have we?//
    As many as we need to get us through the day...the thoughtful side, the practical side, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all for the comments.

    I am in Goma, on the northern shore of lake Kivu, and it's actually quite a beautiful place, although the town's infrastructures would surely need a lot of repair. I don't have much internet time; next to none at all, so I'm just writing this here to say hello, and that I am well, and that I'll try to post pictures and some of my usual "poetry" as soon as I can. That could be in a few minutes from now, but it could also take a few days.

    Until then, I wish you well.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 10, 2008

    //here is a question: how many side have we?//

    Was it you, or an Esfodian philosopher, who said that we have 5 sides (or was it 5 faces)? I miss the easy ability to look these things up.
    deB

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 10, 2008

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete