Tuesday, June 10

NECESSARY MARKS




sometimes I can't find the words
to go with the picture which is waiting in line
to be shown

that's especially true when I am reading a lot
or when there is little for me
to think by myself

tomorrow I am leaving for some place
a little city north of here

I don't believe there will be the Internet
but there should be plenty of opportunities
for new pictures
and new poems to be

new marks



::: ::: :::

[Picture: Drying pants by reading_is_dangerous]

In Rwanda, on the road, June 8.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 10, 2008

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was imagining what these red x's could mean, perhaps somebody was sick there, and the house was quarantined. Perhaps somebody had been killed there, in some act of war, one faction on another. I could not think of any good thing this X would mean.

    I looked it up, and found that in East Africa, at least, this X means that a person has constructed a home on a "road reserve", an area reserved for expansion of a road. These people don't know when the government will come and tear down their home, with no compensation. According to the article, the people knew they did not have the right to build there, but did anyway. And that there is other land available to them. But I think the builders had some good reason, or desperation, or did not in fact know it was not allowed. Because who would take the effort to build a house in the wrong place, with another place available for little money?

    Do you know if this is what the red X's mean in these pictures? I'd like to know the real story.

    How are you, in the little town with (probably) no internet? I hope you are well, and learning, and full of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take good care of yourself, please. Create & BE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 14, 2008

    Is that the TV antenna there on the roof?
    If yes, at least they have that.

    Take care please, on that strange land.

    ReplyDelete