Monday, May 26

RULES OF THE GAME OF THE YELLOW DWARF




today I went to St-Paul Street
to find the bookstore I was told about
where they sell books in English
and on the way, in an antique store, I saw
the framed « Règles du Jeu du Nain Jaune »
or Rules of the Game of the Yellow Dwarf
with its own genuine deck of cards
and the complete set was 200 euros
which is exactly the amount of money I lost
to an Italian thief, the last time I was in Paris
so I just went my way
until I found that bookstore which I was looking for
and, there I asked for their poetry section
and, as often, it was located near the cash register
and, on the shelf, there was only one Bukowski
and, on the back of the book, it was written $13.95

I asked the lady about the price in euros,
and she told me it was 13.95 in euros
and I thought, “Ok,”
then I picked up another book, poems by Li Po
and that one too, it was $13.95

I offered 20 euros for the two books
but the lady,
she said that Li Po book’s price was in pounds (9.99)
which was the equivalent of about 18 euros
and this time I thought, “No.”

now the lady wouldn’t give me a deal,
because, she said,
she herself still owed $300.000 for the bookstore,
and last week, one of her checks bounced back,
and so on, and so on...

I told her: “I can put back these books on the shelf
and you’ll sell them another day,
or you take my 20 euros for them both.”

so she said: “No.”

I just took the Bukowski for 13.95 euros,
and then I left.

a bit later I found a place to read,
opened the book at random,
and there it was, a poem of Bukowski, which I didn’t know, entitled:
Was Li Po wrong?



::: ::: :::

[Picture: Lion with Breasts by reading_is_dangerous] (today)

8 comments:

  1. Did you know I always google your subjects? This time I found a gem;

    Drinking Alone Under the Moon

    I take my wine jug out among the flowers
    to drink alone, without friends.

    I raise my cup to entice the moon.
    That, and my shadow, makes us three.

    But the moon doesn’t drink,
    and my shadow silently follows.

    I will travel with moon and shadow,
    happy to the end of spring.

    When I sing, the moon dances.
    When I dance, my shadow dances, too.

    We share life’s joys when sober.
    Drunk, each goes a separate way.

    Constant friends, although we wander,
    we’ll meet again in the Milky Way.

    tr. Sam Hamill

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 27, 2008

    Did the poem answer the question, was Li Po wrong? It should be titled "Was the shopkeeper wrong?" :P Good job trying to bargain, anyway. You lost 200 euro to an Italian thief in Paris earlier this month? How terrible. I guess it is better to lose money, than life or health. But that optimistic thinking doesn't make the trouble go away. Sorry to hear of it.

    I will write you a book, for $13.95. And then I will give it to you at a great discount. Perhaps a glass of red will be the price. And a smile, which one day I hope to see. What should the book be about?

    Good picture. I think this Lion with breasts should be a constellation. I don't know the story. Do you?

    deB (if i could remember my Google id and password I'd stop being anonymous. it sucks getting old...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 27, 2008

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 27, 2008

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this great poetry makes me feel like dancing with the moon's shadow. I love it so much when concepts converge like that. Now, of course, after a suitable interval of time, you need the Li Po book, too, maybe after the shop lady has had other successes in marketing. Wonderful Entry!

    p.s. the statue makes me think of a woman I saw over the weekend at a party. Evidently she had just recovered from a breast augmentation & was avidly describing the surgery to some of her 30-something friends. They kept touching & patting themselves as if for re-assurance. Her posture was very similar to the torso of that lion statue, & she definitely looked like she felt like the current Queen of Beasts.
    I took a generous sip of wine & encouraged everything. Life is so funny & sad & strange. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 28, 2008

    The statue is a modern redering of a sphinx, right? She looks as though she is a very good star-gazer.

    I'll have to search down Li Po now. I've read about this poet a number of times in the past few weeks. The third time's the charm!

    Booksellers and their rules of the game...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 28, 2008

    *sigh* "rendering" is what I meant to type...

    I'm too distracted by the sphinx.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 04, 2008

    I love the Universe leaving me private little jokes like that - a Chinese one even? It just makes my day as I am sure it made yours at that moment - did you laugh out loud?

    Cheery, LoisH

    ReplyDelete