Monday, September 24

YOGURT SOUP


They are playing English songs
From the 17th century
On the radio

Sparrows chat noisily
In the sycamore
Right next to my balcony

Cars, trucks
Endlessly drive up and down the street
Making an awful lot of noise

On top of all that, I was trying to play
The mouth harp

Only the cat was silent, and she wasn’t
Even asleep

Tap, tap, tap, click, click
I am now typing these words on the keyboard

Next will be the sounds of the modem
Those funny beeps

Today it seems as if nothing else is happening
No war
No people dying for some stupid reasons
No useless speech badly read on TV by a lying president
No thoughts yelling in my mind

Under a gray cloud
In the pale blue sky
There is now the moon
And it is almost full

I should eat some yogurt soup, spas
Cooked with wheat, not barley

By the way, I read that wheat was most likely domesticated
In Turkey, near Diyarbakır, not far from here

Some Armenians still call that city by its old name,
Amid.

::: ::: :::

[Picture: Nothing by reading_is_dangerous]

Who were the people who lived in Anatolia six or seven thousand years ago, who might have domesticated wheat or its ancestral specie? A few hours after I posted the above text, I explored Wikipedia, hoping to find out.

On Anatolia, I found a link to another page about a Neolithic pre-pottery settlement named Çayönü. On that page, I read that,
  1. Çayönü is probably the place where the pig (Sus scrofa) was first domesticated.
  2. …the Max Planck Institute for Breeding Research in Cologne has discovered that the genetically common ancestor of 68 contemporary types of cereal still grows as a wild plant on the slopes of Mount Karaca which is located in close vicinity to Çayönü.

Following a link to another page on the “Pre-Pottery Neolithic Cayonu Tepesi”, I read that,
  1. Çayönü was a “very early and substantial village-farming community”
  2. there lived “people who were upon the very threshold of effective food-production.”
  3. that was “within the half millennium 7250-6750 BC”
  4. the inventory of the findings does not include pottery vessels, but “it does include clay figurines of animals and a few of humanoid form.”
  5. finally, “The inhabitants of Cayonu clearly rejected barley while cultivating both emmer and einkorn wheat. Animal bones are relatively abundant and it is clear that dependence was on wild game.” (italics mine)
I thought it was a funny coincidence, to read that the people of Çayönü rejected barley, after I wrote that I should be eating some yogurt soup cooked with wheat, not barley.

Instead of the soup, dinner was made of rice with oven-roasted vegetables, and Russian smoked salmon, with red wine first, then white, both bottles French. I am providing these details in case somebody would want to know, in eight or nine thousand years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment