Monday, April 23

GHOSTS & MORE GHOSTS


“Do you believe in ghosts?”
“No, I don’t.” answered Jennifer Park.
“Do you believe in vampires?” asked Hubretta. She was a young woman of sixteen years old. A goth girl like her mom had been some twenty years ago.

Jennifer Park worked for an advertising company. She was in charge of special projects. Dealing with weirdoes, that’s how she explained it. Rich weirdoes.

“Do I believe in vampires? No.” said Jennifer Park.
“Do you believe in angels?” asked Hubretta.
“No, I don’t.” said Park. “Those words are names for imaginary creatures born out of metaphors” she explained. “Do you know what is a metaphor?”
“Yes, I do.” said the goth girl. She smiled. “But don’t you think that thoughts are things or waves that reverberate inside your head until they gather enough energy, and then, they come out? Those waves leaving us, they cross the whole universe in all the possible directions, across all the possible dimensions, until they hit a special substance that molds itself into the shape of the waves that hit it, that is into the shapes of our thoughts. That’s how demons and other monsters are born. And as soon as they open their eyes, they start to travel. They start their journey, coming here.”

Jennifer Park felt uncomfortable. What did that girl want?
“Okay.” she said. “Maybe there exists that special substance of yours, and maybe there are space vampires and ghosts coming here. Why not? But how can I help you? This is an advertisement agency, here, as you know. I was told you might have a special project. Maybe something, an idea that cannot reverberate well enough to take shape on its own?”

The goth girl smiled again.
“Yes.” she said. “I do have a special project, and my mother is wealthy, so you guys don’t have to worry about whether
or not you will be making money working for me. You will.”
“Oh!” said Jennifer Park. “Well, that’s very good! So what is your product?” She was feeling better already.
“Humanity.” said Hubretta.
“Humanity?” asked Park. Now she felt uncomfortable again.
“Yes.” said Hubretta. “I want us to run an ad on TV to sell humanity.”
“Okay.” said Park. “Why not? I suppose you would like to sell humanity to those ghosts, vampires, and angels you told me about? Is that it?”
“Not quite.” said the girl. “Our client is God. I want to sell humanity to God. We believe in God, right? We also believe in advertisement. So I don’t see why we couldn’t try and sell humanity to God who seems not to care much about us. Now either he buys us, and things start to get better right away, hopefully (that’s how God will pay) or we are going to sell ourselves to something else. Another god. I believe there is only one humanity, but many possible gods.”

Hubretta’s mother was generous. The ads (there were two) ran on TV for seven weeks. Nothing happened, but the girl seemed satisfied, and Jennifer Park and her advertisement company made a lot of money.

::: ::: :::

[Picture: The ghost of a queen told me about the ghost of a flower that told her about the ghost of love by reading_is_dangerous]

No comments:

Post a Comment