Tuesday, May 1

THE P-PERCENT-ASTERISKS CREATURES


“What is more interesting?” asked me Professor Tokossyan from the University of Yerevan. “What exists? or what doesn’t?”

“How do we know what exists and what doesn’t?” I asked the Professor.

“Exactly.” said my friend. “Firstly, we should agree on what is the best definition for the condition we call existence. We should consider what existed, what exists now and what doesn’t, what might exist, what never existed, and what could never exist.”

“That would take us back to your initial question.” I said. “What is more interesting: What exists? or what doesn’t?”

“Yes. I suppose it is a matter of taste.” said the Professor. “The other night, I dreamt of creatures composed of a capital letter ‘P’ attached to a percent sign and three asterisks. They lived in a synchronized universe where Time was a Walking Man. Each time (ha! ha!), each time that Man took a Step, there was a Tremor, so that every one of the p-percent-asterisks creatures would grow a little (fed by the Sound Wave) or split in two (also thanks to the energy of the Sound Wave) or go POP! in a little explosion that could communicate itself as a chain reaction to the surrounding individuals, making a lot of POPs! Do you follow me?”

“Yes. No. Yes!” I said. “So the bigger creatures were fewer than the small ones?”

“Exactly.” nodded the Professor. “And the smaller creatures shunned the much bigger ones because they thought there were more chances for those to go POP! every time the Walking Man took a Step.”

“But that was untrue.” I thought.

“You are right.” said the Professor. “But the mind of those interesting creatures was not based entirely on logics. A civilization based purely on logics would be exciting, of course, but with only logic there isn’t anxiety, and without anxiety there isn’t art.”

“Is that your definition of art, professor? The child of Anxiety?”

“Not exactly.” said the professor.

“Not exactly?”

“Not exactly.”

I asked Tokossyan if he’d let me do his portrait, and he was kind enough to accept. I’m getting quick with the digiart thing ; a bit bold or fearless, maybe.

“So the big p-percent creatures lead a solitary life?” I asked the Professor.

“Yes.” he answered. “Except for the very wealthy ones, and a few gurus.”

“Oh!” I exclaimed. “So those inexistent creatures you saw in your dream, they resembled a mix between bacteria and human beings, kind of.”

“Yes.” said the Professor. “That is a characteristic of the non-existent : It resembles existence as it is experienced by the creative mind.”

::: ::: :::

[Picture: Portrait of Pr. Tokossyan by reading_is__dangerous]

1 comment:

  1. Great portrait. Un jour tu en feras un de moi dans ce style.

    ReplyDelete