Saturday, August 11

WHAT IS A TREE?


there is a pepper ant on your belly
“I shouldn’t be here,” the pepper ant thinks
“You shouldn’t be there,” you tell the pepper ant

both you and the little being fully agree one with the other
Nevertheless the pepper ant dies
Crushed by your lovely fingers


”what is a poem?” Mr. Oteh asked
“A poem is an axe.” Stringhetta answered. “Each
Word is a chop. If you work well, the tree quickly comes down.”

“what is a tree?” Mr. Oteh asked
“A tree is a tall plant that can live a long time.” Stringhetta answered

“chop-chop.” Mr. Oteh said
“Come
Here.” Stringhetta said

::: ::: :::

[Picture: The pepper ant by reading_is_dangerous]

1 comment:

  1. I was looking up pepper ant & Google brought me here. It's funny because I wanted to tell you but didn't this morning why the poem made my hair stand on end.

    I rode in the golf cart while my H played golf the other day. The next morning my H said "What's that on your stomach?" I looked & it was a fire ant bite right above my waistline. I was amazed I hadn't felt the bite, but it was definitely a fire ant bite.

    So when I read your poem, it kind of put me into shock. The poem at the beginning reminds me of Rimbaud. That often happens when I read your work, not that it seems derivative, but it's always so fresh & unexpected. Bravo! Kudos! Menudos! Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete