Friday, November 9

MAN WITH A CROW


Here is an update on my malfunctioning computer’s situation. First of all, it’s a Tecra 8100, not a “Tecron” as I wrote mistakenly in a previous post. It’s six or seven years old, and not worth much, but it’s the only one I have and I could not afford to replace it. What happened? Two days ago, I accidentally visited some funny website, then my machine froze, and it wouldn’t start up again, but I now believe this has nothing to do with the website in question. Anyway, searching on the web I found posts written a few years ago by owners of a Tecra 8100:

“This machine started locking up randomly and even during boot up - then quit booting at all. When powering on, I hear the hard drive activate and a fan like sound running, but nothing else including a blank screen.”

That is an exact description of what I experienced. Other people wrote more of the same, then there was this post:

“i had the same problem before with my tecra 8100, i resolve it by adding a paper or a silicon to the clam to push the ground wire of the lcd making sure that it touches the frame or body..... due to the flipping of the lcd, the ground wire gets pulled loosing contact to the body or frame......”

Just a piece of paper? I tried it and it worked out right away, on the very first attempt. Great! Thus I was able to boot the computer at last... Unfortunately the system still freezes randomly; during the start up process or anytime after, a few minutes, half an hour, when I am computer-finger-painting or when I write... It does makes my blogging life a little bit difficult!

So what’s next? Well, I am back to searching the web…


::: ::: :::

[Picture: Man with a crow by reading_is_dangerous]

No comments:

Post a Comment