Thursday, March 6

TORNADO STONE



August 15, 1999
I go to this Summer resort on Lake Sevan in Armenia

it's nearby the village of Shorja
a hundred and twenty kilometers away from Yerevan

back then, Shorja beach
is still a remote place, no phone, perfect for me

waters of the lake have all shades of blue
sapphire, navy, indigo, cobalt, cerulean, azure

and all the shades of green
bottle green, olive, jade, emerald, etc.

nice words
for multitude of colors, what the eyes see

in the sky eagles, dead serious
flying two by two, couples, what else

seagulls always laughing-like
lake gulls if you want

great lizards on the rocks
countless frogs, toads, one water snake

with me a video camera
it was in my hands when the tornado came

I got it on tape
it is somewhere, although it doesn't look so much

but this happened, that I want to say:
Sunflowers in a circle

when I came to the lake I saw them flowers
I thought,: "I will film them tomorrow"

gentle things in a circle
in the gentle winds...

in the background volcano cones
violet-colored, plum, violet, mauve, lilac, lavender, amethyst

everybody volcano asleep
for ten thousand years and more

"Nothing is going to happen,"
I thought

although I really knew
"If you don't film it today, perhaps you'll never do"

ok, the afternoon was quiet
peaceful people, and their children too

during Soviet times, this place was a Resting house
painters, sculptors, their families

I go to the beach
nice lake, waters, colors, volcanoes, people

two hours later, sunflowers dead
trampled by winds, flattened, crushed, disappeared

it came, what the locals call a tornado
just a big wind, but mighty big

"it comes just once every thirty years"
said the locals

it was the first day when I visited lake Sevan
right after I decided nothing could happen to the sunflowers

nothing
nothing

but that was a long time ago, and who knows?
where the wind took the sunflower seeds


::: ::: :::

Picture: The Sun left, and hope was gone, but next to your heart the Stone was kept warm


Long text transformed into a long poem on August 26, 2012 

5 comments:

  1. Beau voyage paisible à travers le temps,
    merci pour l'échappée.

    Je pense qu'il y a des endroits sur terre qui n'ont aucun prix et aucune richesse ne leur est égale.

    Où sont les graines ?
    Parties donner à de nouveaux hommes, l'envie de voir le monde autrement.

    Très beau texte,
    en espérant que la tempête situation s'améliore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the tornado churns up new improved conditions. Keep Safe, stp. My husband was in Chicago, a very young man at the 1968 Democratic Convention, when there was protest & official violence on protestors, most of whom were young men. He remembers watching as the protest leaders charged up the folks & urged them at the police, leading the charge until it was roaring, then ducking around a corner as everyone else behind them ran into billy clubs & rubber bullets. From what I've read & videos I've seen, it's horrendous there where you are, & I hope, above all, that you'll be safe. Change, even violent change, makes us value even more the beauties of peace. Hang in there, & keep the heartstone warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I haven't seen a single video among the ones posted on YouTube, if that's what you are talking about, dear AJ., but I live near the streets where everything happened, and I saw the crowds.

    I stayed at home, that night, because you never know what orders were given to the agents of those who benefit from violence--and as a foreigner, I must be careful.

    Others were braver than me, and they saw what they should not have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le tournesol comme le papier réactif pour déterminer le pH.

    Le violet est obtenu par le mélange du bleu et du rouge==> les attributs des couleurs décrites sont très visuelles.

    Le vert d'eau pâle de l'oeil du personnage est très réussi.

    La pierre minérale>minéraux>min-héros>moins héros.

    ReplyDelete
  5. juste une réflexion en passant :
    Pour tes doigts d'artiste, les couleurs ne sont elles pas plus belles maintenant que tu "sais" combien elles sont fragiles et éphémères ?

    ReplyDelete