Saturday, December 20

WILL ART NATURE WHAT?



two books on my coffee table
Qu’est-ce que l’art? by Tolstoy
and De la volonté dans la nature by Arthur Schopenhauer

I have little to say about them
except about their cover
well, both are red

red eyes red
heart drawing of little children red
poor dog bloody red after you've shot it with a gun

I don't read books anymore
instead I am wasting my time reading essays
all of them about the obvious madness of our leaders

yesterday this quote came to my screen:
“There are worse crimes than burning books.
One of them is not reading them.” -Joseph Brodsky

my interest for the obvious madness of our leaders
has turned me into a criminal
one who is not reading the books on his coffee table

I must go back to reading books
just like I used to do
reading them while walking home from school

monsters come from all directions
will art nature what?
oh, one monster is already here

::: ::: :::

Picture: Time-fast by reading_is_dangerous

4 comments:

  1. Your sentiments are echoed by a Nigerian blogger; Akintokunbo A. Adejumo who writes 'The Madness Of Our Leaders'

    http://bit.ly/4dsHFN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaders are almost always crazy, though, aren't they? Everybody's crazy some kind of way, after all, although one crazy person might do good things & another might put millions of people at risk with the blink of an eye. I feel crunchy with my red rose logo now.

    Re monsters: they're never gone, only temporarily overcome. I've had trouble finishing chapters of books, always looking nearer toward the end to see if it's worth going on reading it. Usually, it's not, I find. I'm going to start again reading The Glass Bead Game. I don't know why, exactly, but it visually jumped out at me from the bookshelf. It's green & black. Growth or decay? We'll see...
    Take it easy & enjoy what you can!
    It makes me happy to see your writing this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry for the books. They are good friends. They don't mind to be left alone for a wild...

    Books are wild animals, just like us. Sometimes, we need to talk to the monsters inside us. After a while, we come back to life, to reading, with a little rabbit smile...

    ... and a beautiful reading-hat!

    Amitiées.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first time I entered our local University Library and saw floor after floor of shelving tightly packed with books and was instantly cast into total despair. Even if I read every day, for 12 hours a day for the rest of my life it would be impossible to read all those books. So much waiting wisdom, so many lifetimes I was to be locked out of. And I walked out.

    A month or so later I came back and took down book after book and flicked through each. When a book resonated I put it to one side to read properly. That first day I took out four books; a week later, I took out only two - I had learnt life is too short to read some books. I also found out that my new attitude to reading books offends some people. But it does mean that I now read books (and blogs) that I enjoy.

    And it is nearly Christmas Day. May I wish you the blessings of the Season and a rewarding 2009.

    Cheery, LoisH

    ReplyDelete